Top Ways To Improve Curb Appealing Before Selling
Some experts state that the curb appeal of your home is the most important factor in selling your home in a timely manner and for the price you are looking for. Homes with improved curb appeal command higher prices and take less time to sell. The way your home looks to buyers from the street could increase the value of your home by thousands of dollars. Since this is going to be the first thing your potential buyer sees, it is important to make a great first impresstion.
When we speak of improving the curb appeal we are not talking about replacing siding or tearing off roofs. When we improve the curb appeal we want to be as cost efficient as possible while making the necessary improvements to gain that top dollar price tag we all want for our home. Here are a few ways you can improve the curb appeal and value of your home.
1) Power Washing- Using a power washer on the siding, steps, driveway and the deck of your home will bring the true colors, wash away all debris and dirt and give your house a nice little bath. This is a much cheaper option than having the whole exterior of your home painted (this is also an option). You can hire someone to come and power wash your house for about $150 or if you have a powerwasher yourself, get out there and handle it yourself.
2) Paint the Front Door- They say replacing your front door and painting it bring the most value for your money when trying to sell your home. The front door is the focal point of your home and if done right can draw a lot of positive attention to your home. Now a days people are getting very creative with what colors they are using for there front doors. If you are unsure of what colors to use, consult with your local Sherwin Williams or paint store you like to use. They will have an "expert" available to help diagnose what color will work best for you.
3) Landscaping (Heavy Mulch) - This is a cheap alternative to replacing all of your landscaping. Just lay down an extra layer of much on top of your old mulch. This will preserve the plants and flowers that you already have in front of your house. If you want to replace a couple old bushes and plants, go ahead and do that. While were on landscaping, try and clean up the beds as best as possible. Get rid of all the debris and dead parts of your plants. This will give your landscaping a nice clean look that will attract to buyers.
4) Replace your house numbers- This is a quick and cheap way to modernize the look of your home. For under $50 dollars you can replace your old numbers for something more stylish. This is not a big adjustment but new numbers will bring a more modern look to the exterior of your home.
5) Update your Windows- Now this is a little more expensive way to increase the curb appeal of your home but if the windows in your home are shot this may be a good choice. These windows will carry there value for a long time and will be a serious burden off the buyers back. New windows, with new window trim will bring a nice sharp look to your home and will really make your home stand out. This is also a great selling point to your future buyer when trying to get top dollar for your home
6) Replacing Garage Doors (painting) - The 2nd most value you recieve for your money with exterior improvements is the replacing of garage doors. Just like your front door with brand new garage doors you will give your buyers another great focal point to focus on. New garage doors really make your home pop and this small expense can be very beneficial in the sale of your home.
7) Replace Light Fixtures and Hardware- Getting rid of all of your old lights that surround your house and installing new lights will also bring a more modern look to your home. These lights are very inexpensive and will bring a new feeling to your home. Buyers now a days are very picky and are just looking for a new feel. Also when I speak of hardware, I am talking about replacing your mailbox. If you have an old mailbox it may be a good idea to get a new one. These mailboxes are also cheap and can bring a new look to your home.
These are just a few cost efficient ways to improve your home. By making these improvements your drastically increase the possibility that you will sell your home fast and get top dollar for your home. As stated previously buyers now a days are looking for turnkey properties, properties where they do not have to do any work to them. If you focus on making these simple changes you will put yourself in a better situation for a possible sale. If these changes are not something that you want to do, dont plan on getting top dollar for your home. With the amount of homes that are for sale in our area and the lack of demand you have a lot of competition. You have to try and seperate your property when it comes to the sale of the home. Try to stick out from the rest of the listings and price your property right. Remember you can always make these improvements yourself or hire independent contractors to come in and do the work for you. Either way these improvements will not kill your pockets and you will see the return when you make the sale.
Does anybody have any other cost efficent improvements that they made to there home that helped them to make the sale of there home less of a burden? Let me know in the comments below.